Generate a "fill solid"
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-Wishes/Generate-a-quot-fill-solid-quot/td-p/2763248

Hi there,

Currently I have an 800 000m3 fill which is an extension to an airport runway that extends out over a 45m high terrace down to a river delta.

The contractor asked if I could provide incremetal volume calculations through the fill for evey metre of its height to that these values can be used to monitor peogress and make appropriate progress payments.

In the end, the only way I could do this reasonably quickly was to extract contours from both surfaces, join those of the same level together, get the area and calculate volumes manually.

The fill itself only exists in Civil 3D as the difference between two surfaces.

However, how much better would it be if the actual fill could be recognised as a "fill solid" that can be sliced or otherwise analysed just like a solid model to produce the volumes that were desired. This would not be an uncommon request for a large fill.

Just a thought. Another one from left field you might say....certainly ouside the square.

To his credit, Peter Funk provided a potential solution for this  which required a surface at each metre level, cross-sections and then a materials analysis....It would have been dynamic but would have taken much longer than the 1 1/2 hours it took me to do the manual calulations from contours.

PT

peterthomson9209
03:21 AM

Hi there,

Currently I have an 800 000m3 fill which is an extension to an airport runway that extends out over a 45m high terrace down to a river delta.

The contractor asked if I could provide incremetal volume calculations through the fill for evey metre of its height to that these values can be used to monitor peogress and make appropriate progress payments.

In the end, the only way I could do this reasonably quickly was to extract contours from both surfaces, join those of the same level together, get the area and calculate volumes manually.

The fill itself only exists in Civil 3D as the difference between two surfaces.

However, how much better would it be if the actual fill could be recognised as a "fill solid" that can be sliced or otherwise analysed just like a solid model to produce the volumes that were desired. This would not be an uncommon request for a large fill.

Just a thought. Another one from left field you might say....certainly ouside the square.

To his credit, Peter Funk provided a potential solution for this  which required a surface at each metre level, cross-sections and then a materials analysis....It would have been dynamic but would have taken much longer than the 1 1/2 hours it took me to do the manual calulations from contours.

PT

peterthomson9209
03:21 AM